Color: Dark brown to black.
Size: ¼ to 1½ inch long.
Smoky-brown cockroaches require high humidity for survival. They are found outside in wooded areas that provide shade and moisture. They can also be seen in protected areas around homes (tree holes and mulch) and in buildings and attics. Stacks of lumber and firewood, sewer-access openings and trash piles can contribute to infestations. Once in structures they are commonly found in attics or near fireplaces. These cockroaches can be attracted by a leaky roof.
Smoky brown cockroaches are good fliers and easily travel from trees on to houses. It is commonly attracted to homes to feed on trash containers and pet food on patios and decks. They are also attracted to light.
- Cockroaches have many negative consequences for human health because certain proteins (called allergens) found in cockroach feces, saliva and body parts can cause allergic reactions or trigger asthma symptoms, especially in children.
- Cockroaches can also passively transport microbes on their body surfaces including pathogens that are potentially dangerous to humans. Cockroaches have been implicated in the spread 33 kinds of bacteria, including E. coli and Salmonella species, six parasitic worms and more than seven other types of human pathogens.
- E. coli and Salmonella are classic causes of food poisoning, or gastroenteritis. Common symptoms include belly pain, severe stomach cramps and tenderness, diarrhea which can sometimes be bloody, nausea and vomiting. Some people can experience severe diarrhea, which will cause dehydration and may require hospitalization. In rare cases, the bacteria can spread to the blood stream and cause life threatening infections.
The smoky brown cockroach has the reputation of being one of the most difficult cockroaches to control because it is so active and varied in its habitat.
Here is a list of tips and control methods to avoid a Smoky Brown Cockroach infestation:
- Be sure that you maintain a clean and clear ventilation system. It will help keep those cockroaches away from those areas.
- Install tight fitting screens around vents and possible entry ways.
- Seal as many cracks and holes as possible on the exterior of the home.
- Do not allow pet food to sit out overnight. Pick it up after outdoor pets are finished eating.
- Eliminate piles of lumber and debris. Store firewood as far away from the house as possible, they may be possible harborages for these cockroaches.
MANUFACTURER RECOMMENDED PRODUCTS AND TREATMENT FOR Smoky Brown roach CONTROL
Pests need food, water, and shelter. Often the problem may be solved just by removing these key items. Before even thinking about chemical pest control, it is important to be aware of Pest’s Conducive conditions & It’s Recommendations.
Pesticides can be purchased in many different forms, each form has specific uses and application methods The pesticide application method you choose depends on the nature and habits of the target pest, the properties of the pesticide, the suitability of the application equipment, and the cost and efficiency of alternative methods. Your choice is often predetermined by one or more of these factors. Follow label directions for volume recommendations and application rates based on the pest to be controlled and utilize appropriate application tips on equipment. , these application methods are for informational purposes only. To know specific applications method/s for the product you buy, please refer actual packages for complete Label Verbiage.